Support for families
The Royal Canadian Legion understands the challenges military families face, and the sacrifices they may endure, and we strive to support these families through a range of programs and referral services.
The Legion supports Veterans and their dependents. Eligible family members include:
- A spouse by marriage or common-law
- A child of a Veteran, under the age of 18 or in university/college to age 25
- A child of a Veteran, that was incapacitated prior to the age of 21 and declared dependent on the Veteran
Below are some of the services and supports available through the Legion for spouses and dependents of Veterans.
Services available through Legion Command Service Officers
Please contact a Legion Command Service Officer for information and assistance on these services, or for questions about other care or support needed.
Services available at many Legion Branches
In addition to services above, many Branches offer programs and supports to meet the needs of local Veterans and their community. Below are a few examples of programs offered through Branches.
- Military family events, meetups, dinners, and other recreational activities for serving and retired military and RCMP members and their families in their community.
- Health clinics, educational seminars, and wellness programs to support Veterans, their families and the community.
- Educational bursaries through the Poppy Fund for children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Veterans who need financial assistance to pursue a post-secondary education.
Please contact a volunteer Service Officer at your local Legion Branch to ask about services and supports available at your Branch.