The Royal Canadian Legion is committed to ensuring the tradition of Remembrance remains relevant to and supported by younger generations. We promote youth-specific education regarding Veterans and Remembrance through a range of local and national initiatives.
Education at the local level
The Legion encourages Canadian schools to promote Remembrance Day Ceremonies, and local Branches are often involved in supporting those ceremonies.
As well, the Legion distributes Poppies and educational materials, and offers schools the opportunity to have a speaker share stories and experiences about Veterans and Remembrance with the children.
Other local activities include:
- Commemorative ceremonies for youth
- Legion Youth Auxiliaries coordinated at the Branch level
- Support for Cadets, Scouts and Guides to strengthen their leadership and growth
- Partnership with Cadets to deliver Poppy campaign
- Encourage youth participation in Remembrance ceremonies
- Youth scholarship and bursary programs, coordinated at the Branch level